Weeks Before Caucus Night
Week of Caucus Night
Get people thinking about Caucus Night. Encourage those considering running for precinct positions to announce that early so that others know and can start asking questions before the night of caucus.
Schedule a visit to your caucus location with the facility.
- Meet the managers of the facility and share your contact information.
- Make sure you are aware of any specific rules for using the facility.
- See the layout of the room. Plan how you will configure the room and where you will put everything:
- Where will people enter the room?
- Where will they check-in?
- Where will Candidate Registration be?
- Where will the position gathering locations be?
- Where will the main meeting be held?
- Where will the candidate board be?
- Determine what resources you will need from the facility, and make those requests:
- Audio/Visual needs
- If you will using the internet, test the WiFi from multiple locations in the room.
- Locate the bathrooms, drinking fountains, and emergency exits.
Here are some resources for advertising caucus night.
Fillable Caucus Night Flyer PDF:
Maps for precincts can be downloaded from the Utah County Clerk’s Office Website here:
- Election Maps
- Choose your precinct from the dropdown, then click the Get Map button.
- It will show a grey box that looks like it failed, but click the precinct name link just above the grey box to download the PDF.
Tallying Ranked Choice Ballots
Ranked Choice Ballots are great so a voter only have to fill out one ballot, but they do need to tallied properly to have the same result as multi-round voting.
Here are a couple ways you can tally your Ranked Choice Ballots.
Tallying Ranked Choice Ballots by hand is not difficult, if you know the process. Even if you plan to use software for your tallying, you should still learn how to do it by hand in case you have technical problems with the software.
Kirby Glad has created a couple of great videos for you to watch:
- Video – Preferential Voting for 1 seat positions (18 minutes)
- Video – Preferential Voting for 2 or more seats (10 minutes)
- (Please note there is a clarification on these preferential voting videos about handling a tie between two candidates. For example if you have two candidates tied for the lowest number of votes and you must drop one – the video shows flipping a coin, but the correct method is to drop all that are tied, unless it would eliminate the remaining candidates, and THEN flipping a coin.)
Also download the tracking sheet:
The TallyRCV software was developed specifically to tally Ranked Choice Ballots at Caucus Night. It runs on Google Forms and thus has some requirements to be able to use it:
- A computer with a modern web browser
- Active Internet Access
- A Google Account
The template form and instructions document are in this shared Google Drive Folder:
This software allows you to use multiple computers for ballot entry. More details are in the instructions.